Friday, December 18, 2009

Nokia E71 - Dead: Very Hot Camera Lens Cover

So, after just 15 months of ownership (may be a little less), the much beloved Nokia E71 has given in to, I don't even know what - nothing. It's dead. All of a sudden, the camera lens cover started heating abnormally, to rather uncomfortable temperatures - even when the phone is turned off, for as long as the battery was in. The battery gets drained in just over 20 minutes, and when it's working, it's completely unreliable. I wont list here what problems there are.

A quick look online revealed many such issues, especially right after the warranty period. Of course I took it to our Nokia dealer for checking (HM Rawat (Mauritius Island)). They need a little over 45USD to "receive it and carry out basic diagnostics" :-) ! That's complete BS. I was already anxiously waiting for the Nokia N900, but this was certainly a deal-breaker. Nokia out of the window for now.

Next in-line? Yes, the iPhone 3GS wins. I hate to admit this, but time has taught me that Steve Jobs has ways of making appealing (and really cool) gadgets that actually outlast most competitors.

Phew!

No comments: