Friday, September 19, 2008

E71 - Finally Here!

So, i finally received my Nokia E71. Extreeeeemely lovely and sexy gadget! In no way does it compare to my previous Moto Q9h - well, in some features. For example, I am already starting to miss the Calender in the q9h. Windows Mobile got the calender perfectly right. I had expected to find the following features, which I still cant see:
  • In the message list, ability to select multiple messages on the go, for the purpose of forwarding, deleting or other function.
  • Same for e-mail.
  • Home screen - ability to display more than 1 upcoming appointment.
The battery life is lovely. 5 days going, and its about to drain now, yet I am a relatively heavy user!

There are already many reviews there, so I wont re-invent the clock. I am a power user, so will update this page regularly with tips, tricks, hacks and tweaks, especially for Linux and OS X Leopard.

1 comment:

Ernest said...

OK - After some time with the Nokia E71, here is what I am unhappy with, especially in comparison to WinMo 5 on the Moto Q9h:

a. Calender - when an appointment comes, it is not possible to snooze it for a required period. The phone only pops up the 'Snooze" option, which is for a 5 minute default. I wish this can be fixed in a firmware update.

b. The Smart Dialling function is still dumber that Windoze Mobile. In WinMo, when one starts typing a number or a name, it will look for a match in the contacts, call logs and SMS. On the E71, the smart dial function only works when typing a name, not a number - and it does not look elsewhere other than the address book. Symbian - do not let WinMo outsmart you!

c. The keypad is too tight for me.
d. The camera sucks big time - it is in fact useless.
e. The GPS is not very accurate. I suspect a low-end GPS-chip was used in this phone (which would not surprise me given the size).